Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Mount Pleasant, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it should be replaced. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Olde Towne Heating & Air can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Olde Towne Heating & Air in Mount Pleasant a call to get started. Contact our team at 843-485-0967 or arrange an appointment with us online.