While winter weather seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its effect on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 843-485-0967. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Mount Pleasant weather.